Friday, February 7, 2014

Elbow Room has Re-Opened



As a child of the 60s, I recall walking to town to run errands with my dad and sister. Errands usually included a trip to Sherwin Williams and Western Auto followed by a stop at the Elbow Room. (Obviously, there were lax laws about taking kids into bars back then.)




I fondly remember the nickel pinball machine. Neither my sister nor I were large enough to play it, so bar stools were placed on either side so we each had our own flapper. My dad and his friends kept a stack of nickels for us to play while they enjoyed a few beers in an always-friendly atmosphere.




Sadly, I was still a teen when I lost my dad. With time, all the places that held memories of him were out of business or torn down; save one, the Elbow Room. Well into our adult lives, my sister and I would visit the Elbow Room, especially during times of personal difficulty. We referred to these visits as “communing with Daddy.” Somehow, being there, sitting at the bar where he had sat, having a drink in his memory brought us comfort.


After the Elbow Room closed, I found that I missed my visits there and missed the opportunity to commune with Daddy. This was the driving force behind my venture to reopen the bar.

My dad, brother, sister and me (the baby)
Opening the Elbow Room is a tribute to my dad.
 
During the recent renovations, we’ve learned that we are not the only ones who have missed her. Almost every day during the renovations someone stopped by, took a seat at a non-open bar to reminisce about their memories. We heard about first legal beers, how spouses were met, performers who played there, and, of course, about Buckshot the bartending dog. (More about Buckshot and his best friend John later.)




As we renovated, the Elbow Room gave up some of her secrets. When paneling that was installed in the late 60s was removed, we were amazed to find artwork. Behind this paneling layered with paint, we uncovered two large silkscreen-on-canvas panels attached to the original walls. These art panels have been concealed for more than 60 years. We are currently cleaning and conserving these hidden treasures and feel that they are a perfect match for the new atmosphere of a safe, smoke-free hometown pub (aka, beer joint) where everyone really does know your name.
The Bow giving up her secrets
 
Coming clean.
A slow, meticulous process to remove more than a half century of nicotine that made it's way through layers of paint and behind the paneling.



Every girl (Yes, the Elbow Room is a she.) wants to be loved for who and what she is, regardless of how she looks. But, from time-to-time, every girl deserves a makeover. We are giving the Elbow Room her makeover.
 
Her make over is coming along nicely.
The crazy beautiful bar top is not actually copper. It is a beautiful copper paint treatment done by the most awesome son. He has mad skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment